Monday, March 1, 2010

And the Knit Goes On

The olympics may be over, but my epic knitting adventures most certainly aren't. As I mentioned last week, I'm studying the book/poem "Parzival" in school right now, and we've been assigned to create a piece (or pieces) of art that represents six themes throughout the book, and as I said before, I've chosen knitting as my medium. Now, knitting has never been done before, so this should be interesting, and because the teacher really isn't familiar with the medium, he can't help me much, so I think that, as long as the pieces are cool, and they work well with the themes, I should be fine. Right now, I'm looking at three projects (at least).

Here's the yarn:



On the bottom left there are two skeins of worsted weight that I dyed myself. The two colors are "Flowers For" and "Algernon". I'm thinking that I'm going to either knit child's mittens or a hat our of them, to represent the theme of innocent. That project should be quick and fun. The colors are beautiful. Now, some of you might be thinking that 200 yards is an awful lot of yarn for child-sized stuff, but these yarns are sisters/brothers, and I think I might cry if I didn't knit them together (and I know that they'd be sad too), so together they stay. If I do mittens, I might even, knit an i-cord to go between them to enhance the childishness.
The black and white yarns are going to become a scarf, with the opening passage embroidered on in the contrasting color. Whatever black chunky I have left will go to a hat that is going to be an imitation of the hero's helmet as depicted on the front cover on the book.
Anyway, the knit goes on!

Thing to be grateful for today: Purposefulness.

2 comments: