Wednesday, March 24, 2010

This Post Contains a Note to Self

That is the question.
I have definitely decided on the prior, which means that I'm going to fringe first before I make the hat, that way, I can have a nice fringed scarf that I really like and am totally satisfied with, and I'll just have to make do with what I have left for the hat. I'm not normally a fringe guy, but this scarf already has a nice vertical movement and I think the fringe would really add, so I've decided to do it, hat be damned! (But not really, because I'd rather have both)

After having added the fringe (about an hour after I wrote that first paragraph), I find that I quite like it.



Nice, yes?



I love that it adds so much length to the scarf. (Also, what on earth is going on with my hair in this picture??)
Now, I'm using the remaining single ball of the blue yarn to make myself a cabled beanie. I'm pretty excited. My original plan was to make a basic beanie with a few alternating gray and blue stripes just after the ribbing, but after the fringe I didn't have any remaining gray that was over six inches in length, so instead I went with an all blue cabled beanie. I'll probably finish tonight or tomorrow, and when I do I'll put pictures up. So far it's looking quite nice. I'm designing it as I go, so it's a little hodgepodge, but I'm okay with that. It gives the hat character. I would never give it to someone as a pattern, because it isn't designer perfect, but it serves it's job, and you'd only really ever notice these little discrepancies if you were looking for them.

I'm meeting with my mentor (the lovely, Skyler) again tomorrow to discuss my play, so that's exciting. I'm hoping she can help me with my outline, and that we can talk about the scenes I gave her to read last week. I haven't gotten much writing done this week. In fact, I haven't written any on my play. I did write a lot of poetry though. I'm being kind of hard on myself about it, but at the same time, I understand the purpose of my writing, and it's different with storytelling and poetry. Poetry is my expression of self. Very much like knitting, I pour myself into poetry. Every line is a fragment of soul. Storytelling is like that, but less so. Poetry brings me to my core, while storytelling is more fanciful, and allows me to explore other selves.
The people I write about tend to be people who live in my head, if that makes sense. Sometimes, they're the people I want to be and sometimes they're just people I like to think about (even if those people don't really exist). I've been telling myself stories since I can remember. I'd go out into the front or back yard and I'd pretend to be someone else, going on grand adventures. I'd play like that for hours, all by myself. Creating worlds out of myself. Some characters keep coming back, like Gabriel.
Gabriel is my incarnation of humanity. He has flaws, but he's always a character that is inherently good. In my play he is perhaps at his most flawed. Normally, he is an illuminator in my stories, someone who brings forth the truth, but in this story, he's just the opposite. He's the person who covers up the truth and ignores it, but all for reasons he thinks are good. (Note to self in blog: Gabriel's hat is knitted because his mother gave it to him).
Sorry about that, I was hit with backstory inspiration and had to put it somewhere. The blog just happened to be a convenient place at the time. Anyway, this is one of the only times I've ever written a post over the course of several hours, and in this time I've gotten the hat very far along. Hopefully I can finish tonight and then show it off tomorrow.
Anyway, that's enough for tonight. I love you all.
Thing to be grateful for today: Stories untold.

4 comments:

  1. When I grow up, I want to be just like Gardiner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Lauren, I love you. Why do you say that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Cause I admire your discipline and ambition and focus and you're living your dream of being a writer at 17 instead of saying, "someday."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still remember watching you walking on the rocks in Briarcliff...creating entire universes. I had to sneak peeks of you through the window, because if I walked outside, you would stop and ask me to go back inside.

    ReplyDelete