Monday, March 15, 2010

Office Man

My school has this amazing program called Work Experience. The basic idea is that each year, every student is given two weeks to complete 4o hours of work. Each year has a theme. In your freshman year, the school assigns a farm that you are to work on, and in tenth grade, you choose an artisan to work with. This year, we are to choose a non-profit that assists humans or animals today. I choose Citizen Schools, a great program that works with middle school kids, helping them
to find joy in learning and work with the school system to their benefit. It's really quite awesome.
I already work with them as a knitting teacher after school, but for the next few weeks, I'll be working with them as a tutor for the kids after school and as an office assistant. Today was my first day, and I had so much freaking fun! It was great! I really enjoy the company of everyone who works there, which makes the whole thing a ton of fun.
Work Experience has the benefit of completely eliminating burnout (I just tried to convince myself that "elimate" was a word. Clearly the midnight hour is putting me down). After three weeks of NO SCHOOL (Work Experience and Spring Break put together makes three weeks), it's almost nice going back (almost). If nothing else, you aren't dreading the return, and you get a really lovely rest period.
Speaking of rest, I'm tired as a Russian whore on Sunday night. (Don't ask me to explain. I have a Rusian Whore themed simile thing going on today)

Thing to be grateful for today: You.

1 comment: