Friday, March 26, 2010

Differences In Teaching

I've taken two yoga classes this week. One was much better than the other. They were my first classes in a while, and I'm so glad that I went to both, because they showed me what I want out of a yoga teacher. The first class was good, I just didn't feel like the teacher was really "there". Provided, she was rather pregnant, and so I can understand her not wanting to get up and down from her podium. My problem was that I just didn't get any connection with her at all during the class. Today however, my teacher was wonderful. She was present, she knew most of the students by name, she knew the body very well, and she would go over to individuals to adjust their postures. Both teachers were incredibly nice, and I don't have any judgment against them as teachers, because both styles work, I just now know which style works better for me. I need a teacher who works with you and your body, and checks in with you. I need someone who is really focused on the person rather than the group.
I'm like that with anything I'm trying to learn though. I react much more positively and get a lot more out of a teacher if they are focused on working with their students as individuals. For me, an ideal teacher is someone who can be easily approached in and out of class, and someone who knows their students well enough to be able to see when something is amiss. I'm certain that that's why I've done so well in private school. The smaller class environment has been great for me.

Thing to be grateful for today: People who care enough to make sure you're ok at their own inconvenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment