Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Can't Resist a Good List

I start my three week break from school tomorrow. The first week is off for spring break, and the second and third are off for a thing my school calls "Work Experience", where every student finds a place to volunteer for at least forty hours. Each grade has a theme. Eleventh grade's theme is human and animal non-profit services. I decided to work with a program called Citizen Schools that works with kids in rural areas, teaching them life skills, helping them with homework, giving them something to do after school before their parents get home, and just being with them to have a good time.
I actually start my hours next week. I'll be painting a mural with kids at a local middle school every day, and I'm pretty stoked. I know some of the kids already (I teach knitting with Citizen Schools too), and I'm really close to a staff member or two. My second week, I'll be tutoring kids after school and helping the Citizen Schools office.

Now, other than those forty plus hours, I have to do in the next three weeks, so I've come up with a list of things that I want to make habits in my life that I'm going to start practicing during this time.

1. Go to yoga at least 6 times (that's two a week, for the mathematically challenged).
2. Sit down and work on my play for at least one hour six days out of each week.
3. Start a dream journal. Sit in bed after waking up and try to remember my dreams.
4. Go through at least 12 hours of Rosetta Stone (I have the program in German, and have barely scratched the surface. I can already tell that it's a great program. I really need to pick up the pace with my German education, since I'm going to Germany a few weeks in the summer.).
5. Finish at least one and a half panels of the garter stitch blanket I'm making (It's knit in three striped panels, so that's half of a blanket).
6. Read "Letters to a Young Poet", "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Clean House". Those are all three things I've been wanting to read for quite a while now (I know, it's shameful that I only ever made it a third of the way through "The Fellowship of the Ring". I was in third grade).

*Note: It was at this point that I decided that, because I'd already passed five goals, I needed to reach ten, so that I'd have a nice, friendly, rounded sort of number.

7. Take at least two days out of every week (or six days over the total course of the three weeks), where I do not get on the internet at all.
8. Go on one of my adventures down south Congress once a week (Basically, I take the bus down to the SoCo district and walk around, grab lunch, visit the yarn shop, all that good stuff. It's always a total treat).
9. Visit with at least five people I haven't in a while (I mean really visit. Sit down, just us and hang out.)
10. Weed out the music I do not like on my iPod.

All right, there we go, I have ten goals (YAY! Ten!)
Anyway, I have to go frantically finish the embroidery on the Parzival scarf now. Ta.

Thing to be grateful for: Inside jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment