Sunday, February 28, 2010

And It's Good!

Today was an athlete's day. I sat in my bed watching Lost and knitting all morning. I finished knitting the second sock at approximately one o'clock. Then it was time to graft the two ends of the toe together. That was when the first problem hit. I could not for the life of me find one of my darning needles! It isn't as if I don't own more than one! I even kept one of them in a special bag specifically carried around with me for these socks! Somehow though, that bag is gone! (I am thoroughly convinced that one of these individuals you call my "family" have stolen the bag and hidden it specifically to hinder my olympic goal.)
In my desperation, I used my knitting needles to coerce the end of the yarn through each stitch individually (have you ever tried that? It should be it's own olympic event, because it is darned hard!), until finally Lauren came to me and said, "Um...Have you tried a crochet hook?"
That dumbfounded me. I couldn't believe that I'd made such a rookie mistake. I quickly switched tactics and the grafting came along much faster after that.
Once I was finished, I did a victory lap around the house, calling people, showing my cats, and just generally having a great time, when...disaster! I discovered that I had incorrectly grafted the first sock, and that if I didn't fix it, my toes would poke a hole through the end so fast my head would spin.
I attempted to calm myself down, even though it was now six o'clock and time was running out. "It's ok," I said, " I'll just pull out the grafted end and redo it." Alas, it was not that simple, for no sooner than I had begun to pull out the grafted end, did stitches begin to drop. Eventually, I gave up, cut off a particularly stubborn corner of the damned thing, and unraveled a few rows.
I desperately began to mend the sock. It was in this state of knitterly nirvana that I heard the voice of God, and God said, "Finish this sock on time, or I will pwn your ass!" I did what God said.

And so I give to you, my Winter Olympics 2010 Socks:



I think that the hair on my legs counteracts the non-manly nature of sparkly socks.

I actually finished grafting the first sock at the roller derby, so here it is, being held by two roller girls off of the "Hellcats", a la "Yarn Harlot".

VICTORY!!
I am done! I feel so accomplished. Now, on to nice, peaceful, easy-going, flat garter stitch.

Thing to be grateful for today: Fun.

5 comments:

  1. The rollerderby girls must have been creeped out as to the fact that you asked them to take a picture of themselves with a sock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Actually they totally dug it!
    You finally commented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creeping out the victims is at least 75% of the fun of these "hold my hand-knitted sock" pictures. One knit blogger even got Obama to hold a sock. He looked confused but affable in the photo. Will, Roller Derby was hella fun and you are a lame-ass pooty-head for missing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA! Lauren calling anyone a "lame-ass pooty-head" was basically the funniest thing I've read all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bleached blonde could use a smaller shirt...maybe you can knit her a nice, respectable sweater?

    Good job, sweets!

    ReplyDelete