Monday, February 22, 2010

Knitting As Art

So, as of right now, the second sock is not done, which is BAD. In fact, I haven't even started decreasing for the toe, hopefully this will not be the case by the end of the night, because I have got to win gold.

I just started a class on the book "Parzival" today, and instead of having a final or reading summaries, we have been assigned to create a series of art pieces in any medium we like that conveys important themes in the book. My current idea is that I will knit two scarves, both in "fisherman style", that is to say that the scarves will be thinner in the middle to rest on the nape of the neck. The first will be half black and half white, with the two colors meeting in the center of the scarf's length. On each side will be half of a poem, knitted in the opposing color. This poem is the beginning paragraph of the book. I'm pretty excited, though the thought of knitting words is intimidating. Does anyone have any pro tips or references they'd like to give me? The second scarf's design is yet to be decided.

Thing to be grateful for today: That class. It's awesome.

3 comments: