Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Some Explanation

So, I know posts have been short recently, but honestly everyone, this flu hit me HARD. It's been pretty terrible. Enough excuses though! On to today's topic!
The Knitting Olympics!
I realized today that, although I've referred to the knitting olympics in the blog before, I've never actually explained what they are, so let me tell you. The Knitting Olympics is an event that coincides (obviously) with the olympics. The basic premise is that, from the moment the torch is lit to the moment it is extinguished, knitters who take the challenge are to knit a single project. Here's the catch; every knitter chooses their own project specifically to challenge themselves! Some people (by which I mean many) have been known to knit entire sweaters. I'm not up to that.
Speaking of sweaters...I did not finish the cardigan on time. I've been working on the blanket (because it's garter stitch and therefore has no fiddly bits like the cardigan), homework, and recovery. However, hope springs eternal, for I have until the twelfth (that's when I leave for New York...I'll talk about that trip tomorrow)!!
Back to the knitting olympics; previously my plan was to knit a fair isle hat (a hat made of two colors), which would train me in at least two skills: Knitting with with hands at once, and keeping my tension regular when using two colors (for those of you who don't knit, both of those are difficult skills at first). However, I've been wondering if it might be better for me to finish a FREAKING PAIR OF SOCKS!! I never have. I've cast on three pairs. Basically finished one, it wasn't a good one, so I ripped it out, knit an entire knee-high rainbow sock (that failed), and have half a pair lying on my desk. The obvious skill here is stick-to-it-iveness, plus it has the benefit of giving me a pair of socks to wear that I've made, which is pretty awesome.
I want everyone to vote in the comments!! (Please vote) Socks or Hat??

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm, new skills or persistance (which is also a skill). Another important skill to master is understanding one's own limits. Can you actually finish a pair of socks in 12 days while traveling, attending school and going through your already packed life? I KNOW I couldn't. The hat is more achievable.

    Personally my challenge is to complete any project in 12 days. I'll also be doing colorwork, which I've successfully done before, but it's certainly a skill that I could improve upon. My project is
    http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTtam.html
    Scroll down to see the pattern and photos for Tam B. I'm thnking I'll do it with black instead of white for the background color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the olympics are supposed to be a huge challenge for you, and the traveling will actually add to my knitting time, which makes things easier. I'm really leaning towards the socks right now. Do you think I should do some kind of fun but simple pattern with the socks or just a basic sock recipe (like in "Knitting Rules")?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOH OOOH!!! What about THESE???
    http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2007/08/30/earl_grey.html

    I have a really great sock yarn in different shades of gray that could go well with that! Or do you think a yarn that's variegated, even if it stays in the same color family, will take away from the cute simplicity of the socks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a hat is superior to the socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cabled socks are gorgeous in their simplicity. I think you might be right about the variegated yarn hiding the cables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT ABOUT THAT CRAZY SOCK YARN WITH SILVER IN IT??? THAT COULD BE AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am leaning towards socks for my own knitting olympics, so I certainly am on board with that idea for you. And something more than just the plain ol' ribbed socks. The earl grey's are great, and I think a tonal variegation would work just fine. But silver? Did you say SILVER? Hell yes.

    ReplyDelete