Thursday, February 4, 2010

Getting a Little Distracted

I realized something today. I realized that this is not the blog I had intended. Now, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just is. I had not intended for this blog to be a straight up knitting blog, but somehow (probably because I love knitting a lot) it has become one. I started off talking about knitting and other stuff (there's stuff besides knitting??). I've decided to go back to that for a couple of reasons.
a) It's more accessible, and I like it if people read what I write (as far as I can tell right now, not a lot of you are, but that's just because I can only tell if you comment...HINT HINT).
b) There are a lot of really interesting things I like to write about other than knitting.

Now, there's another reason that this blog is not the way I had intended for it to be, and that is that the posts have gotten shorter...and shorter, and that is not good, so I am as of today writing longer posts (hopefully with more pictures. I don't have any pictures for today, but God will I when I get back from Massachusetts).

Speaking of the Massachusetts trip, why don't I explain. I've been wanting to go to this awesome (I typed that as "shit awesome" the first time...odd) college in Amherst, Massachusetts called "Hampshire". Yes, it is indeed confusing that a college named "Hampshire" is in Massachusetts and not New Hampshire. Please don't ask me why.
Anyway, Hampshire has been my dream college for two years now. I know that makes me a total overachiever because a lot of people don't even start seriously thinking about where they want to go until eleventh or sometimes twelfth grade, let alone pick a personal favorite college. There's nothing wrong with that, that's just not how I roll.
I'm a complete planner, I always want to have everything planned and timed with exactitude so I can do as much as I can with as little amount of time as possible (sometimes the thing I want to do is relax...I try not to time that). That's why I choose my ideal college so early. It isn't as if I didn't keep my options open, I've just always circled back to Hamshire.
Ahem...back to the Massachusetts trip.
I'm leaving next Friday for my grandmother's house in Tyler, Texas with my mother. The next morning the three of us will be getting up at the ugly crack of dawn so we can get to the Dallas airport for our early flight to New York City. We'll spend about fourteen hours there. The plan is simple/near-impossible. We fly into New York, rush to our hotel, have dinner if at all possible, go see my favorite my favorite musical ever, "Next to Normal" (Great show, you should listen to the music), return to the hotel, sleep, wake up the next morning, have brunch, walk through Central Park, and then leave. We will be taking a rented car out of New York. This means my mother will quite possibly be driving in the snow. She has never done this. My job is to cover my grandmother's eyes throughout the entire endeavor.
We will arrive in Amherst that evening, hopefully before nightfall (if it's dark and my mother is driving in the snow, I don't know what we'll do), and check into our hotel. The next morning, I'm going to Hampshire to take classes all day, visit with students and faculty, and have an interview. We have the following day to explore Amherst, but after that, we must return to New York for our flight out.
That's quite an itinerary, isn't it? I'm still dumb-founded that my mother pulled it all together and she gets complete props from me.

Thing to be grateful for: My mother's amazing organizational skills.

5 comments:

  1. Yay, for longer and not-always-knitting-related blogposts!
    Roma is also very interested in Hampshire College. We've heard nothing but good about it. It's supposed to be as much like Sri Atmananda Memorial School as a college could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you'll notice that I always comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a kickass trip. Did you finish knitting your mom's present?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, he has NOT, I repeat, NOT finished knitting his Mom's present.
    Also G, we're meeting Eric about 4:30 at the hotel in NYC. He's really wanting to take us to MOMA, so we're going to try to squeeze that in too. We may have to do dinner after Next to Normal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear God...I wanted to go to MOMA, but I don't know if it's possible. Does he think we can get to the hotel by 4:30?

    ReplyDelete