Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Athlete Is Wearing

Yesterday marked the halfway point in the knitting olympics. The olympics end this Sunday. One week is left in this competition. My faith in my ability to finish these socks is not yet fully gone for one reason. It has only taken me seven days to get this far.



You see, though the competition started last Friday, the torch was lit very late at night, and I had to get up very early in the morning (we're talking before four), and so I did not actually start the sock on Saturday. I finished a whole repeat of the cuff pattern in addition to the ribbing that day. Then...disaster. The sock did not fit comfortably over my heel. My cast on had been too tight. Therefore, I ripped out the entire thing, and started over in Penn Station. Therefore, this sock was really started last Sunday. Therefore, I can totally finish the second sock in time. I just have to pick up the pace a little.
I did make a small tactical error. At the beginning of the foot, you have the option to continue some semblance of the cable pattern (slightly altered), or just knit it plain with a small amount of ribbing on each side. I choose the prior. This means that I have to keep constant track of what round I'm on for most of the foot. That SUCKS! This means that I can't just mindlessly chug on. I LIVE for mindless knitting. Do not fear though, I shall persevere, and I shall succeed!

I have faith, because I have a schedule.

Monday: Finish Sock 1, cast on sock 2, attempt to get through ribbing (I have a whole essay to do tomorrow, so we'll see about that last part)

Tuesday: (Ribbing), First repeat and a half of cuff.

Wednesday: Second repeat and a half of cuff.

Thursday: Heel, begin knitting in the round for foot.

Friday: Get to halfway foot point.

Saturday: Attempt to finish second sock.

Sunday: (Finish Second Sock) Block (See that?? I left a day for BLOCKING! I can TOTALLY wear these socks to Lauren's torch extinguishing party!)

Sure, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are going to be a little rough, but I get a nice break on Thursday (that way I can catch up if I'm behind, and still not be leaving it to the last minute). Friday won't be that hard, I find that the foot does tend to fly by quite fast. Saturday could get a little sketchy, but that's why I left Sunday for final catching up. I'll keep you up to date on how my progress is coming this week.

Thing to be grateful for: Schedules, because they give you control when everything else feels a little bit insane.

2 comments:

  1. The good news: socks don't really need blocking since you wash them after every wearing. The bad news: I'm not holding a torch extinguishing party as such. Instead, I'm going to a Roller Derby! I think Karen said she wanted to go so maybe you will too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This IS good news. Socks need no blocking...YAY!! I am hopefully going. :)

    ReplyDelete