Sunday, April 18, 2010

TV Is Bad, Children! Don't Watch It!

Here's a list of five television shows that I'm truly addicted too in order of the severity of the addiction (Number 1 being the most addictive).

1. Glee
Glee is such a good show. The writing isn't always great, and neither is the music, but it is so much fun, and I love listening to the music that IS good on my iPod.

2. Lost
Lost is just ridiculous, and I love it. I swear to God, their writers sit down to meet and say, "So guys, what ridiculously implausible thing can we put into our show this week?" So much fun.

3. The United States of Tara
This is such a sweet, funny, well-written show. I think that, as far as writing goes, this show is the best on the list. I definitely recommend this show. Go watch it. Also, the writers get points for making the gay son not "the GAY son" but instead, "the son who happens to be gay". Does that make sense? Basically what I'm trying to say is that they didn't spit out a cliche and say, "Here's the son. He likes to wear sparkles and all of his friends are girls. Also, he likes to braid his hair and thinks everything is 'fabulous'." Not many shows do that.

4. Heroes
I will always have a soft spot for superpowers. I think about what it would be like to have them ever day. There were a couple of seasons in the middle of the show that were not very good at all, but it pulled through.

5. Queer As Folk
This is a very funny show. Totally inappropriate most of the time, but the heartfelt moments that are interspersed throughout make it very enjoyable.

Thing to be grateful for today: My ability to justify watching television by knitting at the same time.

4 comments:

  1. "not 'the GAY son' but instead, 'the son who happens to be gay'"

    I agree with this to the millionth degree; This annoys me to no end in television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did I go wrong??!! I have been such an obedient montessori/waldorf parent! We don't even own a TV you can watch television on!! We may have to get rid of the computer now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, shhh. The shows are how he's getting so much amazing knitting done. Also, he needs to take mental breaks or his head would explode (very messy). Also, he demonstrates great taste in this art form -- and yes, I do believe TV is an art form. After all, in Shakespeare's time, theater was the predominate art form enjoyed by all classes and most of it was execrable dreck. And, yet, look what sublimity Shakespeare was able to find in that medium.

    G: Weeds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus, the fact that you don't have a TV means that he's only see the very best TV has to offer and without the truly evil commercials.

    ReplyDelete