Thursday, April 29, 2010

Creation!

Today, I took a break from school for my sanity. The last couple of months have been really hard on me emotionally, and the last semester has been really hard on me academically, and it all just sort of came crashing down in an avalanche of stress on Wednesday. Therefore, today I let myself create and do homework at a comfortable pace, rather than at breakneck speed.
I spent almost the entire day working outside in the sunshine. It was beautiful. I took my laptop, my notebook, a chair, watercolors, and a huge piece of watercolor paper and settled in. I'd write for a while, and then I'd sit down in the grass and paint a layer, and then go back to writing while that dried.

Here's the second panel of the blanket thus far:





I think that the flowers add a nice contrast.


Here's what I'm painting.





I know that it just looks like a bunch of colors right now, but that's how this style of painting goes. It's called "Veil Painting" and the point is that you use VERY light veils of primary colors one on top of the other to bring out shapes and secondary/tertiary colors. I already have a final product in mind, but for now that's a secret (unless you're Lauren, in which case I'd like you to let everyone else watch it grow organically).

Today was so good for me. I regret nothing.

Thing to be grateful for today: Art.

1 comment: