Thursday, April 15, 2010

Today, I'll Give You a Poem...

...Because, right now, I am trying to put together a series of 100, and you guys are great editors (those of you who I know read the blog are all very opinionated/intelligent, so please do give me feedback).
Here you go. This poem is from a while ago. It isn't my typical style, but it does explore myth.

Masquerade

You are my struggle.
That which holds me back,
Which flows through my veins,
Can be found in your bayous
And in the pines,
Swaying giants in the blusters.

You are a land, so beautiful,
Encapsulated in a wretched hate.
Oils drip from your roots.
The leaves spin about in turmoil,
Unsure of what to do with themselves.
Casting shadows.

Masquerade!
People roam your streets,
Pleasant, kind, even generous,
But cross them once,
And the masks are off,
And beneath,
They are neither pleasant nor kind.

Don't let them come too close,
They'll bite,
Cry "Heathen!
"Hellfire take thee!
"I know the place you go!
"And it is not a pretty one!"

I slip on my mask, and blend with the crowd,
I watch the trees strain for the sky,
Beset with ash and smog,
That sway in the blusters
Of hate and greed.



Thing to be grateful for today: Poetic healing.

3 comments:

  1. Intense poem. I do like it, but the "Masquerade!" put the song of the same name from Phantom into my head. Overall, the poem is effective and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and it's affective too. It's effective (gets the job done) and affective (moves the emotions of the reader).

    ReplyDelete
  3. grammatical error....Don't let them come TOO close.

    Beautifully accurate poem about Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete