Monday, April 5, 2010

Eleven Goals for the Last Quarter of the School Year

*See Title*

1. Try to have the computer off by nine as often as possible.
2. I must at least do the math homework my SAT course assigns me.
3. I must try to do five hours of German work a week.
4. I must do half of my homework before I can play on the computer on most days.
5. I may not watch more than an hour and a half of television on any given school night (and that's already pushing it in my opinion and I'm only intending on hitting that on days when a) it is gross outside and b) I don't have homework).
6. I need to get in the habit of writing outlines for essays.
7. I want to knit with my first plant fiber yarn.
8. Take one hour to enjoy myself without any electronic media after school each day.
9. I need to finish my mother's shawl and knit two pairs of socks.
10. I need to finish most of my play and have a good collection of poems in one word document.
11. I need to read this to myself once a week.


Thing to be grateful for today: The sense of power that a good list gives me.

2 comments:

  1. 1. This is very ambitious; I'd be impressed if you could do this consistently.
    3. German? That's awesome! I don't know if I could do an hour of a language every school day; I've already forgotten my three years of French.
    4. If you're anything like me, you'll find yourself redefining 'half' so that you can do what you want while still not 'cheating' on your rules. If I have two assignments, one much longer than the other, I'm liable to do the short one, declare that I'm 'halfway through', and go off on a two-hour hike, leaving myself no margin for error and cursing myself later.
    5. Are you including TV programs over the internet? I stopped watching live TV a few years ago, but I still get a lot of shows online.
    6. Ugh, outlines. I was never any good at 'the writing process'.
    8. This is impossible. You'll go into withdrawal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Yeah. Totally. ANd I've failed so far.
    3. I'm going to Germany this summer, so it's important.
    4. Probably.
    5. I don't own a live television, so I'm only including online.
    6. I am.
    8. Totally not impossible. I'm happiest away from electronics.

    ReplyDelete