Sunday, April 11, 2010

SAND!

I just spent an amazing weekend with a lot of people I very much care about. Every year, the eleventh graders at my school take a class for a couple of months on sand sculpture. When the class is finished, the whole grade takes a trip down to Port Aransas for a sand sculpture competition. Our school tends to place pretty high.
What was interesting about the trip was that it brought out everyone's shadow for me. I saw a lot of the negative aspects of people that I'd normally ignore, but I also saw a lot of positives in people that I don't always have the best opinion of. Pretty much everyone got rather emotional at some point or another (Being with the same people for five days and then being expected to live and compete with them for a weekend just before they go back to seeing them for another five days can take its toll). I had some very transformative moments with people. It was beautiful.
Anyway, we still don't know how we actually did in the competition, but I'm thinking we did really well. We took something that looked like this:




And did some of this:







And made this:






I still think that "Remember the A' La Mode" is ridiculously clever, though it wasn't my idea. Anyway, good night everyone.

Thing to be grateful for today: Home.

2 comments: