Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ripping Out of My Funk

Like the title says, I'm ripping out of my funk. My life's been kind of chaotic lately, and over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed myself seeking control in places where I can actually find it. I've been getting in better shape, writing a lot, speeding up my German learning, and generally trying to get a better hold on what I want to do with my future. I think that all of this has been helping me immensely.
Overall, I've been MUCH happier over the last couple of weeks (the past few days being an exception), but all of this change I'm going through is reminding me of a much rougher patch I went through almost two years ago. I came out of that a much stronger person, but I remember using an affirmation to get myself through at one point. It comes from the fantasy novel, "Dune" by Frank Herbert:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind killer;
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear,'
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
Where the fear has gone past there will be nothing.
Only I will remain"

Thinking about this and how much it helped me made me think that I may need an affirmation again. This time, I thought I'd write it myself, so here goes.

"Today, I am an individual.
Today, I am the flesh, bone, and spirit that make me whole.
Today, I love my flesh, bone, and spirit.
Today is a day for loving life,
And loving love,
And knowing that all these things are constants.
Today, I am working toward my future,
And acknowledging my past,
But always living in my present.
Today, I am an individual"

I think it serves it's purpose. Don't you?

Thing to be grateful for today: Affirmations.

3 comments:

  1. I like it a lot, it sounds very strong - though it might be a bit long to be a regular affirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it too. I think the running endorphins are working. Let's keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My affirmations have always been long too. I've been saying them to myself since I can remember. I still remember the one that I made up when I was about 7 years old, and it helped with fear also. The one I repeat to myself now is around self care. I love you, sweets!

    ReplyDelete