Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Finishing (Sort of)

Today, I "finished" two projects.
Why the quotations? Well, see, I sort of finished one of them yesterday, and, though I finished the other piece of knitting today, it wasn't the end of the whole project.
Yesterday, I had my first experience felting a piece of knitting and I made this:



It's a felted "brown paper" lunch bag!
Today, I added Velcro to the bag so that it would seal better.



It was not even close to the coolest part of making this bag. The coolest part was the felting! Basically, I knit a really big, floppy brown blob, and then I stuck it into my washing machine for ten minutes and got a dense, sturdy fabric that, once folded, set into the shape of a brown paper bag! The whole thing was really pretty freaking awesome! I had no idea that felting would be that freaking easy!

Today, I also finished the first panel of the blanket!



(It is not actually that tall, it just stretched when I held it up...now I'm worried it was too long. Oh well, it will definitely cover my toes.)
Now, none of you who are regular readers (bless you all!) will have seen this, but I was so consumed by knitterly excitement (and perhaps I'd been exposed to yarn fumes for too long too) that I ran around my high school's campus screaming and waving the thing behind me like a banner. I would be ashamed if I weren't so happy!



Of course, within hours of finishing that panel, I've cast on the second one. It isn't much yet, I know, but it will hopefully blossom into some awesome knitted flower/panel...ok...yeah...I'm getting worked up. Deal.

Thing to be grateful for today: GETTING COMMENTS ON THE BLOG!!! It makes my day every time, because it means you all actually give a shit and at least kind of enjoy reading my blog. Everyone (except for Lauren...and maybe her too) should comment more!

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, seriously folks. I'm doing all the heavy lifting commentwise over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found excessive commenting gets taken the wrong way by some people, so I try to be careful.

    Also, that panel is HUGE! It must have taken forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, we haven't even come close to excessive commenting! Please comment people!

    That panel is huge. It took me nearly five months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say I was impressed with what you've accomplished, but that would be a massive understatement. I don't think I've worked on anything for five days, let alone months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you can't see how dirty the rug is.

    ReplyDelete