Monday, May 10, 2010

Poetic Double Whamee!

I want to go to bed, but I don't want to just give you guys ONE poem, so instead I'll give you two. One is REALLY old. We're talking old enough that the paper has yellowed around the edges. The other is from a few months ago. The prior was written during a writing workshop, the latter during an algebra two test.

"An Expression of Adolescent Rage"

For some reason (unknown)
I can't think,
can't speak,
can't write.
Can't know.
Can't EXPRESS!
My feelings so raging, writhe
like a million manatees
SCREAMING
for my ATTENTION!
(What winged demons do catch it?)
For HOW I THINK
(too far)
With these beasts under my hair?
How can I know myself
from them? how can I be?
(And YOU!)
You who says
(You think you know what you speak)
I write for you(?!)
And you alone.
(The mirror's friend can know what you mean.)
How simplistic you are!
(And childish)
And YOU too, who knows NOT!
(But why should they?)
How I Think I Feel.
(But how should I know
with manatees raging
'neath my skull.)
How dare?
How dare you not know
What I THINK I FEEL?
(What I cannot know
(for clouds))
I write!
I write for you
(and you too)
I write not exclusively
for you(you too).
I write for many!
things.
Bees! and Bears! and tress,
I write. for me. for you.
(you too)
I write for bees-
and bears-
(trees)
I-
write for me.


"Dirge for My Mathematical Honor"

Trapped.
The slow downfall of rain dulls my-
heavying senses,
And I can't calculate--
the answer.
("In life, you will encounter lots of problems with more than one answer and you might have some rounding error.")


Thing to be grateful for today: Breaking out of form.

3 comments:

  1. Manatees are a recurring theme for me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roma told me about a dream she had in which Jacob was cheating on her with a manatee. Then they've come up in several tv shows and things I've read including your poem.

    ReplyDelete