Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Midsummer Night's Dream

A Midsummer Night's Dream is perhaps my favorite of Shakespeare's plays, and certainly of his comedies.It is beautifully done and filled with incredible juxtapositions. The storyline is all at once very easy to follow and riddled with gems of profundity. Tonight, I went and saw my second production of this show. It was definitely the better of the two (enraged Waldorks, fear not, I did not see this year's Middle School production, so I'm not comparing it to anything).
I took very little issue with the show. It stuck, for the most part, to the original text, relying on costuming and small line changes to bring the show into a 1950's setting. The major difference was, not surprisingly, the show's transformation into a rock opera. The songs were short and few, which was a blessing as few of them really did much to add to the show I'm afraid. All of the actors though were quite good.
Puck stole the show. He was funny, clever, wild, and sexy all at once, everything a good Puck should be. I'm not sure who this guy is (I'll find out), but he really gave new and powerful life to one of my absolute favorite Shakespearean characters. His delivery of the final lines of the show was beautifully done and I'm so grateful to have seen him perform.

Thing to be grateful for today: See above.

No comments:

Post a Comment