Saturday, May 8, 2010

Cleaning House

I spent all day cleaning this room, and here are the results.



I have to say, I'm impressed with myself. Go and compare that to the picture I posted this morning. It turns out that I do in fact have a desk and not a barge of floating garbage on one side of my room. I didn't get around to vacuuming, because by the time it was ready for that, the rest of the house was asleep. I'll have to do that tomorrow morning for sure, because the floor is disgusting (I hate carpet, I very much want to pull mine up and make it stained concrete or wood).



I don't think my desk has ever looked this good. Ever. I quite like the way I arranged everything (I fiddled and experimented with that a lot). I wish the picture weren't so crappy, but not enough to go back and take another one (don't judge, it's almost one o'clock in the morning).



The knitting area always looks a little trashed, but that's because there is only so much organizing you can do with a bunch of plastic bags filled with yarn mixed up with smaller plastic bags that have half-finished projects in them. I at least have the shelves in the background organized, and in my defense the contents of the bags ARE organized.

Cleaning out my room was very therapeutic for me. Not only did I reorganize the things that are in there, but I also removed the things that I did not need or want. I dove into the depths of my room, reaching into its darkest corners, and examined its contents fully. I now know pretty much exactly what is in my room, and have a reason for everything being there.
The process of going through all of my things like that physically also had me sifting through myself and finding the things I did and did not need. It amazed me how simple things like finding a sugar-free mint on my floor could bring up so much emotion for me. Cleaning off my desk I discovered old scraps of paper with poems I'd forgotten about scrawled across. I found 41 old letters from the most difficult period of my childhood in a box in my closet. I sat down on the floor and took the time to read each and every one. They're back in my closet now.

Thing to be grateful for today: Mints.

6 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhhhh. So nice to go to sleep in an organized room. I'm currently organizing/cleaning/sorting through my craft room right now,trying to make it take A LOT less space so Beaty can move his office in. Sigh. Time to try to decrease the stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what the best way to decrease your stash is? More knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I suggest one of those plastic drawer thingies for the knitting stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking wicker baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wicker baskets are much more aesthetically pleasing but the drawer thingies are better and more vertical storage.

    ReplyDelete