Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Time May Change Me, but You Can't Change Time

Tonight, I went to the first class of a four week series on beginner's hatha yoga. In the middle of our introductions, the instructor stopped us to give a little talk about yoga and what it does for people. Somewhere during this he said something to the effect of, "Let me warn you now...Warning! Warning! Things will change! It may not all happen at once, but once you start to do yoga, the way you relate to things around you will change."
Now, this really struck me for a lot of reasons. The first being that, as a seventeen-year old, I'm used to changes. Life changes a lot when you're seventeen. Not only has your body spent the past few years growing and contorting (and in my case it did quite a bit of shrinking too), but your mind has also begun to expand and settle into itself (God help the person who's mind ever totally settles).
The second reason is that, should change be something we are afraid of? Sure, there is negative change, but it isn't stasis. Yes, change can be a scary thing, but, personally, the idea of a life where I always know that everything is goint be all right and there are no surprises sounds not only revolting, but scary as well, because at that point, what is there to live for? Now, that is not to say that I don't love things in my life, and want to keep them just as they are, we all do, but if you knew that they would stay, would you want them as much? Just something to think about.
Now, the final reason that this got me thinking, is that, somehow, in the last two years, "change" has become a buzzword. This is of course, because of the Barack Obama campaign, "Change We Can Believe In". I've thought a lot about Barack Obama in the year that he's been our president, and while I personally think he is doing a better job of it than McCain would have (and he's certainly better than what we had before), I still question whether or not he is really providing the change he promised.
On the one hand, there has not been much in the way of policy change that really pushes us toward a better world, but on the other, he is creating a change in our society simply by being our first black president. Suddenly, you don't have to be a white male to be president, and this idea in and of itself is ground-breaking. Thought he hasn't broken down the socio-economic boundaries that prevent anyone who isn't upper class from becoming president (don't even get me started on that one), he has broken down the racial ones. It is these sort of changes in the mindset of a country that can help us to make leaps and bounds in a very positive direction. (On a side note, President Obama hired an openly transsexual woman, Amanda Simpson last week, which is quite astounding as well.)

Now, I promised some knitting today, so here it is.
Although I've only been knitting for a little over a year and a half, I'd like to think that I've gotten pretty good in that time since I'm currently making a sock and a cardigan for myself. You've already seen the cardigan, but about that sock... I bought the yarn from a local woman, Alisha. You should look at her stuff it's pretty awesome. The sock is just a basic toe-up (knit that way by necessity and not preference. I wasn't sure how long I could make the cuff before I ran out). Anyway, here it is.



I am clearly not as awesome at taking sock photos as our lady, The Yarn Harlot, but I would definitely like to think that my sock knitting has come a long way since the DISASTER last spring.



That is the LAST time I try to knit someone a knee-high rainbow sock! (Though this sock was for a very dear and lovely person, it was not meant to fit her body.)

Anyway, it looks like I needn't have worried too much about having enough yarn...



Because I have a good bit left even now that I've gotten an inch or two into the leg. Awesome! To those of you who can knit, would it be odd to knit one sock toe-up and the other cuff-down? Is that a no-no?

Anyway, I think I know what tomorrow's post is going to be about, which is rather nice.
Today, I am grateful for the magic and soul that is breath.
Love.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that Obama is making changes in more subtle ways than maybe even he intended. Your example of making change simply by being black or hiring a transexual is a good one, because for many people, it takes something that impressive to really get it into their heads that some things they thought were concrete, are not. I also think that Obama has a great vision and many great ideas, but I have to say, I fear that he has hesitated, and that's going to cost him a lot of time and effort. I feel like he's having one of those "i'm just waiting for the right moment" moments, and we all know how those work out.

    In short, I'm hopeful, but not entirely confident.

    btw, I'm in total agreement with you about your ideas about accepting change as something that moves life in a forward direction, rather than something to fear or avoid.

    -Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga: Yay! Good stuff and well-suited to your temperament.

    Change: Ride the rollercoaster.

    Obama: I just keep wondering what he could have done if he was working in a vaccuum where he had the support of Congress and (most importantly) where he wasn't having to expend all his energies cleaning up the previous administration's messy blunders. I wish we could give him at least one free term to clean up the mess and then give him a good solid 8 year double term to do what he set out to do.

    Knitting: I'm pretty sure that if you do a cuff-down sock and a toe-up sock it will look subtly weird because the knit lines will run in different directions. But try it as an experiment. Me, I'm over knitting socks because they get worn out and develop holes and I can't deal with that emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Griffin, I'm glad we agree on all of our Obama-Opinionated-Ness (That is CERTAINLY a word), and in our feelings on change.
    Jonin, thank you very much.
    Lauren, yoga IS good stuff (Do you know Wayo? He's my teacher.) I totally agree that you need to ride the rollercoatster, I'm just hoping that you didn't design it, because rollercoasters need balance so they don't kill people! :P
    I do wish that Obama had been given better circumstances, but at the same time, I believe that part of what makes a good president a good president is the ability to deal with the fuckups of his predecessor. I think it will look weird, but I sort of like weird, and subtleties are neat! I think I'll go for the one toe-up one cuff-down look! I'm sorry that you've been emotionally harmed by sock knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for trying toe-up! Do the second one toe-up too if you want them to be the saem. Cuff down if you want fraternal. Lauren is right - the difference would be subtle, but difference nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete