Tuesday, January 12, 2010

On the Go

Today I bring you...the blanket:



Or rather, what will become the blanket.
That's 18 skeins of Lamb's Pride Bulky (Colors: 6 "Kiwi, 6 "Brown Bear", 6 "Ocean Waves"). I'm making it into a big ol' blanket just for me! I bought the yarn on the second, but I only just cast it on today (with my knitpicks set...it RULES, by the way).
This is what I have so far:



It isn't much, but it's there.
Now, the blanket is knit in plain garter, but I wanted to ask everyone who knits and reads (there are what, two of you?) if you think I should knit the colors in rectangles and sew them together, or pick up the stitches and connect all of the colored rectangles together. Now, the rectangles aren't going to line up in a nice, orderly fashion, they're going to be a log cabin pattern. Something like this, but you know, since I'm the type of knitter that likes to sort of make things as he sees fit, it won't be that pattern, just one like it.
Now, the benefits of doing it in one piece are thus: I think it looks better and I'll be able to learn to get a lot better at picking up stitches. The cons are that I'll be knitting it in one big piece, so at one point, it's going to get really ungainly (I plan on making it 6 1/2' X 5'), and there will be more tricky bits. So, what are your thoughts? (For anyone who's wondering, the cardigan is coming more slowly now, and there isn't much progress to report.)

Lately I've been really busy with all kinds of things (Yoga, school, therapy, playwriting, blogging, knitting, German [for when I go to Germany this summer, more on that later], cycling [which is training for the AIDS ride, more on that later too], and my social life, and I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting). This isn't a problem though, I love being busy. I really do. It gives me purpose, and that is an awesome thing! I just wonder if I take on too much. Either way, I've got what I have, and I'm finishing it (remember those spinning plates? Yeah, I have a lot of them in the air right now).

4 comments:

  1. I vote for doig it in pieces (like the blog title). After all, you'll be working on it through the summer and I doubt you'll enjoy having a huge wool blanket on your lap in August. Also, I know that you usually like to knit on the go and the pieces are very portable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AUGH! Thtat's so true! The idea of knitting it in a huge piece appeals to me though (But I think that's because lately I've been knitting really big projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Gardiner! Seaming up all those squares will make you zooey. Pick up stitches! Log cabin it! It'll get bulky and difficult to maneuver, but it will be lovelier with smoother transitions and if you're going to make yourself something, make it well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Sue's answer more, Lauren, sorry.

    ReplyDelete