Friday, January 15, 2010

Stop! Supper Time!

So, today I tried to cook again. This experience was...poorly timed. Basically, the plan was to make garlic bread, pasta with a basic red sauce with sauteed garlic, mushrooms, and spinach in it, and have ice cream for dessert. I only failed a little (My picture taking was not as extensive with this meal as it was with the cake and I apologize).
My first mistake was putting the pasta into the water before it had started t0 boil. I was quickly informed that this was not a good idea, and so, like the badass I am, I reached into the pot and grabbed the pasta right out of the water.



The pasta, post-badass grabbing.

Now, this was only the beginning of our problems. It was not long after that I realized that, though I had successfully mixed the ice cream, I had not frozen the part of the ice cream machine that I was going to put the mix (not mix like powder, mix like all the ingredients mixed together, just for clarity) into so it would become ice cream...if you don't freeze this piece, no ice cream. There wasn't time to freeze it before dinner, so no ice cream was had.

The problems continued after that. By the end of the night, I had discovered that it takes about thirty minutes to cook garlic bread, and not the five or ten that I had supposed, so dinner was served in courses rather than all at once. I also learned that winging it is not the best idea with food...your ego will inevitably be deflated.



This is the sauce before I mixed everything up. Overall, the meal was actually really delicious thanks to the combined efforts of others to help me towards a successful completion. I'm going to try and get better at this cooking thing.

Thing to be grateful for today: Hildegard von Bingen (look her up, she's awesome).

4 comments: