Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ten a Day

I've always been a person who sets goals and then doesn't follow through, and it's a problem. I'll have some grand, awesome idea, and then it just gets left in the corner to rot after a day or two. This got so insanely irritating (or irritatingly insane, depending on how you look at it), that I finally decided that something had to be done. Last July, between this problem and the dull hours of summer, I decided that I needed more directive in life, so I came up with a system. Ever since that day last July, I have sat down every night and come up with a list of ten goals to achieve the next day.
Now, I rarely complete all ten of these goals (in fact, some days I only get to scratch off two or three...those are not good days), but that isn't the point. The point is to give myself goals, and by thinking about them and setting them every night, I bring my current projects, ideas, and needs to the forefront of my mind, so that I go through the next day thinking about them, and that's what is important. This practice has in fact made me a lot more productive and goal-oriented. It's given me the stick-to-it-iveness to finish things.
Here's today's list as an example:
1. No facebook, whatsoever
2. 1 hour of play-writing
3. I hour of studying German
4. Blog before three (well, I already failed that one)
5. Take pictures of cake (more about that tomorrow)
6. Remember my dreams
7. Carpe Diem
8. KNIT
9. Journal
10. 1 hour of homework

Now, so far I've completed 5 of those, and I still have seven hours of daylight left, so I'm doing all right, considering I woke up at eleven o'clock. There's already one that I've failed at, and a couple that I'm positive aren't going to happen, but that's ok, because the point is that tomorrow, when those couple of things are on the list again, I'll be reminding myself that I REALLY need to work on those and not put them off (otherwise I'll be hit by a big block of guilt).
This is why I like my system, it makes me think about what I'm doing, and gives me a tiny pinch of guilt if I don't accomplish what I wanted to (especially when something appears on the list multiple times in a row without being scratched off, that's just embarrassing).
Well, sorry for the short post but I have to run now. There will be a longer one tomorrow.

Thing to be grateful for today: My grandmother's extensive baking knowledge, and the fact that I can call her at any time should I need her.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, such discipline! So impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! It's a fun thing to do, and it makes me think about what I want from every day, so I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could totally use a system like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same sort of discipline except for when it comes to school. It's very sad...

    I suppose in that sense, it's not really the same then, is it?

    -Griffin

    ReplyDelete