Thursday, June 10, 2010

Ich Bin Laufen

(I Am Walking)

I am going to try and post pictures from Germany very soon! It is so beautiful here! My homestay girl is watching Germany's Next Top Model while I write this.

Today, my confidence plummeted. I just feel very overwhelmed by being surrounded by a language I do not understand. I'm trying, and I am listening as closely as I can, but today I just felt very lost. By the end of the day, I was almost exclusively speaking in English, so there were not many people I could hold a full conversation with easily. I know it will get better, but for now it is stressful.

On a happier note, I baked a heart-shaped cake with my homestay partner, Anna, last night. It was a basic batter with nutella added. We layered apple slices on top and then sprinkled it with a crumbly mixture of butter, sugar, and flour. It was so deliscious! I'm going to try and recreate it when I return to the United States.

Tschüss!!

Thing to be grateful for: My awesome teacher, Dr. Miller.

2 comments:

  1. Hey buddy, you will get the hang of it. It's good for you to be out of your element. Glad you are having fun, loving Dr Miller and yes, please bring home that recipe because it sounds super delicious.
    I love you, sweets
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that when I can't communicate verbally it's kind of like how blind people develop extra sensitivity with their other senses. You get better at body language and facial expressions. Also, it builds patience. Also, it's humbling. Also, it forces me to not be the center of attention/life of the party/such a verbal hog and to really listen and observe others. In other words, I pretty much hate it, but I think it's been a good experience for me.

    ReplyDelete